A Love Story: To Tell One Day

Though it’s hard to imagine, some day I will tell my children
The story I’m writing with my life today but that realization
Does little to save me from the puzzling maze called ‘now’
“History never looks like history when you are living through
It,” says John Gardner. “It always looks confusing and messy
And it always feels uncomfortable.”

As I stand on this right side of matrimony with no potential
Mate in sight, I’m right in the middle of the messiness and
Confusion. I still have so many questions. Will I still have so
Many questions. Will I know when I’m walking through my
Story for the first time? Will I recognize the event that will
Begin the chapters of my love story with my mate? Will
Time stand still for one moment to tell me that this person
-this one person, out of all the billions bustling on the planet
-is this one? Will I realize when it happens? Or might I miss it?

Some questions are probably best left unasked. I know I should
Push them aside and wait for life to unfold its mysteries. Someday
When I am older and wiser I’ll sit back and tell my story to
Someone who will listen. And as I tell my story, will I remember
The doubt and questions of today? Or will I have forgotten the
Silent longings; will they wash away like footprint on an ocean shore?
I’ll probably tell some young fool the same things I get tired of hearing  
From others. I’ll tell him to bide his time, “for it is sure to work out in the end.”
And of course, “You can’t rush these things.”

Someday I’ll have a story to tell and so will you.
How will you respond when one day you look back?
On your love story? Will it tears of joy or tears of remorse?
Will it remind you of God’s goodness or your lack of faith in that goodness?
Will it be a story of purity, faith and selfless love?
Or will it be a story of impatience? It’s your choice.

I encourage you (and continue to remind myself)
to write a love story with your life
that you’ll feel proud to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment